Skip to main content

. . . . on the other side of the fence


Disclaimer - All characters depicted below are fully imaginary and any resemblance to living or dead is purely coincidental.  

 
Charaters
Mr. Vasant Kale - age 57 - working manager in PWD
Mr. Yogesh Vasanta Kale - age 30 - Design Engineer
Mrs. Devayani Yogesh Kale - age 26 - Housewife
Mr. Gajanan Deshmukh & Mr. Russell 

Scene 1  (8 years back)
Yogesh: Father I am officially an engineer now! Got first class! 
Vasant: (proudly) - I just can’t believe myself that my kid has grown up so much. This is a different feeling of satisfaction. I sometimes think as if its yesterday when you used to show me your report card. You made it my boy even when I couldn't offer you the best of facilities....I know it was not easy for you as well. My clerical government job in PWD seemed not enough to balance home finances . . but yes . . one thing is there, we never felt morally dented. We all kept walking and now I know that I subcauntiously waited for this day son!  
Yogesh: Father, you will not have to worry about these matters from now on. I promise. I am quite capable now. (confidently said and bent for fathers blessings) I have a surprise in store for you, father! I will be joining PWD from next week onwards. I cleared the exam and an interview last week itself.
It's a trainee post. I thought I will wait for this good news till my results come. 
Vasant: I spent all my life literally with PWD doing non-sense clerical work!  I still feel stuck up! I still feel I should have worked for better opportunity for the betterment of ourselves but I never had guts to leave the job . . . rather I never thought that the change in the job was so necessary. . .  Now that, you are saying you will be working on the same post on same office, I am feeling distressed. . . . I don’t want your life to be like me. Haven’t you seen how did we litrally adjusted ourself in the past? How much we sacrifised! How much your mom had to sacrifise! Think about it and decide.
Yogesh: some of my friends in my college will be studying further in US, some have opted for ME in IITs and few are preparing for MBA enrance examination. Its not that I want to stop studying but I feel its high time I should take burden off you.
Vasant: (authoritatively) I am still capable for taking care of my family. You do not have to worry about that. If you are sure and feel that you know what you are doing then, try working on the your degree in US - universities, exams, preparation, funds required etc. . . . .  We will see, I can manage loan on my provident fund - gratuity and we’ll have a look at educational loan's option as well.
 
Within next six months or so . .
Yogesh has finalised everything. Things went on very smoothly for him. He was invited by a very reputed American university with full financial aid and a campus part time work. Just before 2 months of the date of Yogesh’s journey, Vasanta’s close friend Gajanan came with a marriage proposal of his daughter.
Vasant explained him that Yogesh is traveling abroad to study and he will be working while studying, I don't know if we should put this huge responsibility on his shoulder in this critical time. Gajanan assured him by saying, I am quite aware of this. I will not put unnecessary burden on him. I have got lot of faith in him and I am ready to take the responsibility of my daughter Devayani’s expenditure but if they are okay with each other the marriage should go on.
After much discussion involving everyone; Yogesh accepts marriage proposal of a small town girl named Devayani who was merely higher secondary class examination passed. Marriage was done in a jiffy and they both flew to the USA. 


Scene 3 

just 2 months before....
Devayani: Don’t you think, we should apply for US citizenship?
Why not! Thoughts surged into Yogesh’s mind. I started working as soon as I finished my  PG thesis. I was placed in worlds number one construction company. Though my work profile remained somewhat same all these years, I climbed the professional ladder quickly enough compared to my colleagues. I have got my own home in US, I got enough money in my savings account, I have invested some money in compound interest schemes, my wife I understand took a year to adjust here, but now completely settled herself. My 3 year old kid - ‘om’ too have got a lot of friends around and gelled up nicely here. I am 30 yrs old and I think I definitely should go for the green card.

Scene 4 - One month before........ in office
Rusell - Yogesh’s Boss calls him after he receives an e-mail from the top management.
Russel: Its very unfortunate to let you know that your name is present in the list whom the management has ask to strip their responsibilities for indefinite time because of the financial crisis that we are facing as well as a resistance measure for the probable recession within next few months.
Yogesh: (Shocked) But I served this company sincerely for 6 yrs!
Russel: (Ignoring conveniently) This is the notice. Please accept this. Everything is documented here.
It is advisable at this point that you will enquire with the company after 6 months. Things may be okay after a while and you can resume your service for the company mr. Kale. Till that point you are releaved from tomorrows date.
Yogesh: But I delivered so consistently and. . . . .  
Russel: (cutting his sentence) management has asked you to come back after 6 months and there is a possiblity that you may get to do the work. Please see me after 6 months Mr. Kale, if I have not been removed.

Shocked to the core he packs up his stuff from office reaches home and calls up his father - Vasanta.
Yogesh: We all have decided to return to India for good in a weeks time father. Thinking, I will start my own costruction business in our town.
Vasanta: Why are you returning so abruptly? How about your work there?
Yogesh: I have resigned today evening dad. I felt stuck-up in the job just like you. It was a non-sense clerical job!   

Comments

Unknown said…
Echoes your sentiments... Mr. Yogesh Kale?
Unknown said…
tried to incorporate few of my close people. The kind of life the live, the kinda work they do.

:-)

Popular posts from this blog

स्टैनली का डब्बा

स्टैनली का डब्बा हा चित्रपट पाहीला . .. आवडला . चित्रपटाच्या शेवटी एक नोटीस येते . " या चित्रपटाचे शूटींग विद्यार्थ्यांच्या खूप मधल्या सुट्ट्या ( रिसेस ) अ र्थात फ़ार वेळ खर्च न करता; एक वर्कशॊप म्हणून सुट्टीच्या दिवसातच म्हणजे फ़क्त एका वीकेंड मध्ये केले गेले आहे" . सध्याच्या व्यावसायीक सिनेमा मध्ये अश्या प्रकारचा चित्रपट बनवून लोकांपर्यंत पोहोचवायला एक धैर्य लागतं, अमोल गुप्तेचं हे धैर्य चित्रपट संपताना प्रेक्षकात त्यावेळेस एकदम जाणवतं . अमोल गुप्ते तसंच शाळा, शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी नाते, एका विद्यार्थ्याचीच प्रमुख व्यक्तिरेखा अश्यांमुळे साहजिकच आठवतो तो ’तारे जमिन पर’. दोन्ही चित्रपटातला विरोधाभास हा की स्टॆनली चुणचुणीत, स्वाभिमानी, हुशार आणि विद्यार्थीप्रिय मुलगा तर ’तारे जमिन पर’ मधला दर्शील हा एक डिसलेक्सिक त्यामुळे अभ्यासात मागे, एकटा पडलेला, कुणी न समजून घेतलेला मुलगा. तारे मध्ये शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी असं मैत्रीपूर्ण नातं आहे तर स्टॆनली मध्ये त्याच नात्यातील एक चढाओढ आहे. वास्तविक अमोल गुप्ते हा लहान मुलात व्यावसायिक संबंध असणारा माणूस . मतिमंद मुलांमध्ये तो गेली कित्य

जनता आणि अयोध्या

बाबरी मशीद चा निकाल म्हणता म्हणता येउन ठेपलाय. भरपूर ठिकाणी लोकांना निर्णयाबद्दल कुतूहल आहे. हिंदूचे चुकले कि मुस्लिमांचे, कोणाची बाजू नक्की खरी वगैरे; वादविवाद म्हणा किंवा चर्चा म्हणा त्या ऐकू येत आहेत. एकंदरीत १९९२ चे मुंबई bomb blasts, त्यानंतर एकामागून एक घडलेल्या अनेक तश्याच घटना म्हणजे गोधरा, गुजराथ दंगल, सतत उसळणारं मालेगाव - घडत राहिल्या आणि लोकांना त्याची सवय ही होत गेली. २६ नव्हेंबर इथे मुंबई पुन्हा एकदा याच वादातून पोळली गेली. एवढा सगळं होऊन सुद्धा काही लोकांची खुमखुमी काही जात नाहीए . मुळात त्यांना ही गोष्ट जाणवत कशी नाही कि तेच आपल्या हाताने स्वत: चे आयुष्य insecure बनवत आहेत. आज ते वाचले तर उद्या त्यांच्याच पुढल्या पिढीच्या जीवाला विरुद्ध  बाजूने धोका राहणारच आहे.    २७ तारखेची याचिका फेटाळली गेली, आणि दोन्ही बाजूंकडून खुलासे देण्यात आले की कोर्टाचा निर्णय सर्वमान्य असेल. तेव्हा एक गोष्ट डोक्यात आली - की कोर्टाने असा निर्णय दिला तर? वादग्रस्त जमिनीवर रामलल्ला, निर्मोही आखाडा आणि मुस्लीम अत्युच्च संस्था वक्फ या तिघांचाही भारतीय म्हणून हक्क आहे, त्यामुळे तिथे मंदिर क

पानवाला आणि पान

पान ही आपल्या देशाला लाभलेली एक सांस्कृतिक देणगी आहे . नीट पाहिलं, तर आपल्या पुराणातच कितीतरी ठिकाणी तांबूल - भक्षण करणारे सूर - असुर सापडतील . आजही नैवेद्या बरोबर विडा द्यायची पद्धत आहेच की . यावरून आठवलं , लहानपणी मी माहूरच्या देवीच्या दर्शनासाठी गेलो होतो . तिथे देवीच्या तोंडात विडा ठेवण्याची पद्धत आहे . तो विडा काढला कि गरम झालेला असतो असंही म्हणतात . आता हा श्रद्धाश्रद्धेचा भाग झाला , पण मुखातला विडा परत काढावाच कशाला ? असा रास्त प्रश्न मला आता पडतो. सांगायचा उद्देश एवढाच की विड्याची ही परंपरा पुष्कळ जुनी आहे . मराठी व्याकरणातही सुपारी देणे , विडा उचलणे असे काही अजूनही येणारे वाकप्रचार आहेत की . दत्तप्रबोधामध्येही पानाची तमोगुणी अशी उपमा आहे . त्यात म्हंटले आहे की , कीर्तनी तांबूल भक्षण । तें रजस्वलेचें शोणित जाण । कागजन्म तयालागून । करी भक्षण नरक मांस . त्यामुळे आपल्या संस्कृतीमध्ये पान जेवढे जुने तेवढेच पिचकारी मारणारे थुंक - संप्रदायी ही जुनेच आहेत हे कळून च