Skip to main content

The dead end . . . [गच्च]



I was standing on State Transport bus stand. It was heavy rains last night and it stopped today morning. Evidently, there was heavy moisture in the atmosphere. Everyone seemed okay with it, but I can clearly see the shining sides of my nose! With humidity rising to 95 % it was irritatingly sweaty. I always wondered whenever I go to Indian sea level that why do all the local people have  matte finish faces and people traveling to that part of the world end up having glossy faces. This humid air was making me clumsier after a tasty lunch of fish and also I had extra rice I thought as preparation of a long journey from Chiploon to Mumbai.  .  . just to get away from the unwanted appetite.

I was still fine about the overwhelming malwani masala and the excessive quantity of rice that I had. 'I can't just sleep now- I have to be alert' I quipped to myself  as I was standing amidst unusually busy crowd. I said unusually because it was konkan and I never even dreamed so unusual that I will see people in konkan are working like mumbaikars. Somehow I felt my brain is fighting too hard against me to slow down the things and I figured out the reason -' Its four days continuous festival holiday!' that was the reason there were so many 'working' people around. 

I saw a soft movement near my legs and in next moment it even touched my right knee. Subconsciously I thought its a dog, but then it turned out to be a not more than three years  old  & one and half feet tall baby girl beggar looking straight into my eyes from approximately four and half 5 feet below of me. Her expression and her overall size made me remember my niece - cutest thing on this planet. I went away from her and suggested from my eyes to go away. Most of the times I don't give such slumdog beggars money in order to not to inspire such people who make them beg. To my astonishment the kid read my eyes and responded quickly, she moved away from me, I expected some stubborn attitude. 'She must be experiencing such refusals quarter of billion times per day' I thought; and appreciated my own fiery eyes. I ignored her went to grab a bottle of cold water. 

While standing in front of a small general store on the ST stand, my shoulders were tapped from behind. I looked back and it was saffron colour laden seventy plus years old priest. He was looking at me and signaling for little money. I once more did the same trick and looked angrily in his eyes. He immediately went away. That's going good I thought to myself. I didn't know I've become so good at the expressing through my eyes and moved to the same original place where I was standing earlier and started looking for the bus travelling to Mumbai and got myself into ever increasing rush.

After a while, I saw a young lady begging in the bus stand. She was walking like a zombie. Her bedraggled saree was not enough to cover her anorexic body, exposing her torn blouse and depressed stomach. Her expressions made her look like a woman full of agony. She was walking in  constant motion  and I knew there is going to be another 'denial-from-eyes' act for this third beggar within last 12 minutes. I was into some random thoughts and accidentally for a second we saw each other. I tried to avoid the eye-contact but I again looked at her as she changed her direction and started walking towards  me with some motive in her head.  I still managed to ignore her but soon she reached and asked in local language 'bhaoo, upaashi ahe, shambhar donshe rupaye de' (I'm starving brother, give me hundred - two hundred rupees). To my surprise as it was quite a bold and excessive and hence unexpected demand, I again conveyed my refusal against her demand through my eyes. It worked as she backed out a bit but I did not know that it would come back and hit me rock hard - she said - ' paise kaadh, nhaita me arda orda karal ki gelya warshi holila tu maazyashi kaay kaay aan kiti wela baljabree kelee te' (get me the money quickly otherwise I'll start shouting right now that how you raped me last year over and over on this same day of holi)' me gola karil lokasni aan lok chaplini haanteel tula. (I'll shout louder and make a mob who will eventually beat you by shoes). I did not say anything. I didn't believe I was afraid.

My heart sunk inside within me because of sudden anxiety and it stopped for a while, and I woke up! 'Wild dream!' . . . checked up clock . . . it was 3.50 a.m. I grunted and grubbed. . . sighed in order to gather my senses and tried inviting the sleep again. 
I still wonder what I would have done in that situation. I still don't have the answer.        
     

Comments

Unknown said…
Your post made me laugh!!
Unknown said…
What is it? is it a compliment or khinchaai?

Popular posts from this blog

स्टैनली का डब्बा

स्टैनली का डब्बा हा चित्रपट पाहीला . .. आवडला . चित्रपटाच्या शेवटी एक नोटीस येते . " या चित्रपटाचे शूटींग विद्यार्थ्यांच्या खूप मधल्या सुट्ट्या ( रिसेस ) अ र्थात फ़ार वेळ खर्च न करता; एक वर्कशॊप म्हणून सुट्टीच्या दिवसातच म्हणजे फ़क्त एका वीकेंड मध्ये केले गेले आहे" . सध्याच्या व्यावसायीक सिनेमा मध्ये अश्या प्रकारचा चित्रपट बनवून लोकांपर्यंत पोहोचवायला एक धैर्य लागतं, अमोल गुप्तेचं हे धैर्य चित्रपट संपताना प्रेक्षकात त्यावेळेस एकदम जाणवतं . अमोल गुप्ते तसंच शाळा, शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी नाते, एका विद्यार्थ्याचीच प्रमुख व्यक्तिरेखा अश्यांमुळे साहजिकच आठवतो तो ’तारे जमिन पर’. दोन्ही चित्रपटातला विरोधाभास हा की स्टॆनली चुणचुणीत, स्वाभिमानी, हुशार आणि विद्यार्थीप्रिय मुलगा तर ’तारे जमिन पर’ मधला दर्शील हा एक डिसलेक्सिक त्यामुळे अभ्यासात मागे, एकटा पडलेला, कुणी न समजून घेतलेला मुलगा. तारे मध्ये शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी असं मैत्रीपूर्ण नातं आहे तर स्टॆनली मध्ये त्याच नात्यातील एक चढाओढ आहे. वास्तविक अमोल गुप्ते हा लहान मुलात व्यावसायिक संबंध असणारा माणूस . मतिमंद मुलांमध्ये तो गेली कित्य

जनता आणि अयोध्या

बाबरी मशीद चा निकाल म्हणता म्हणता येउन ठेपलाय. भरपूर ठिकाणी लोकांना निर्णयाबद्दल कुतूहल आहे. हिंदूचे चुकले कि मुस्लिमांचे, कोणाची बाजू नक्की खरी वगैरे; वादविवाद म्हणा किंवा चर्चा म्हणा त्या ऐकू येत आहेत. एकंदरीत १९९२ चे मुंबई bomb blasts, त्यानंतर एकामागून एक घडलेल्या अनेक तश्याच घटना म्हणजे गोधरा, गुजराथ दंगल, सतत उसळणारं मालेगाव - घडत राहिल्या आणि लोकांना त्याची सवय ही होत गेली. २६ नव्हेंबर इथे मुंबई पुन्हा एकदा याच वादातून पोळली गेली. एवढा सगळं होऊन सुद्धा काही लोकांची खुमखुमी काही जात नाहीए . मुळात त्यांना ही गोष्ट जाणवत कशी नाही कि तेच आपल्या हाताने स्वत: चे आयुष्य insecure बनवत आहेत. आज ते वाचले तर उद्या त्यांच्याच पुढल्या पिढीच्या जीवाला विरुद्ध  बाजूने धोका राहणारच आहे.    २७ तारखेची याचिका फेटाळली गेली, आणि दोन्ही बाजूंकडून खुलासे देण्यात आले की कोर्टाचा निर्णय सर्वमान्य असेल. तेव्हा एक गोष्ट डोक्यात आली - की कोर्टाने असा निर्णय दिला तर? वादग्रस्त जमिनीवर रामलल्ला, निर्मोही आखाडा आणि मुस्लीम अत्युच्च संस्था वक्फ या तिघांचाही भारतीय म्हणून हक्क आहे, त्यामुळे तिथे मंदिर क

पानवाला आणि पान

पान ही आपल्या देशाला लाभलेली एक सांस्कृतिक देणगी आहे . नीट पाहिलं, तर आपल्या पुराणातच कितीतरी ठिकाणी तांबूल - भक्षण करणारे सूर - असुर सापडतील . आजही नैवेद्या बरोबर विडा द्यायची पद्धत आहेच की . यावरून आठवलं , लहानपणी मी माहूरच्या देवीच्या दर्शनासाठी गेलो होतो . तिथे देवीच्या तोंडात विडा ठेवण्याची पद्धत आहे . तो विडा काढला कि गरम झालेला असतो असंही म्हणतात . आता हा श्रद्धाश्रद्धेचा भाग झाला , पण मुखातला विडा परत काढावाच कशाला ? असा रास्त प्रश्न मला आता पडतो. सांगायचा उद्देश एवढाच की विड्याची ही परंपरा पुष्कळ जुनी आहे . मराठी व्याकरणातही सुपारी देणे , विडा उचलणे असे काही अजूनही येणारे वाकप्रचार आहेत की . दत्तप्रबोधामध्येही पानाची तमोगुणी अशी उपमा आहे . त्यात म्हंटले आहे की , कीर्तनी तांबूल भक्षण । तें रजस्वलेचें शोणित जाण । कागजन्म तयालागून । करी भक्षण नरक मांस . त्यामुळे आपल्या संस्कृतीमध्ये पान जेवढे जुने तेवढेच पिचकारी मारणारे थुंक - संप्रदायी ही जुनेच आहेत हे कळून च