Skip to main content

Experiences in the Land of the Queen. . Vol. 1

It was a usual hazy day. We were nearing the weekend. Heard from another Indian friend who I knew worked part time with an agency (he actually worked a bit more than he studied here) . . ''Hey! There is this one day part time job offered in with my agency nearby race-course''. I did not even asked how much was the wedges and pay per hour. . and straightaway showed interest in the work as I was loaded in M.Sc. Second semester as well as on my wallet was taking quite a bit if beating.

I had to call that recruitment agency first and register myself. Then I had to let them know about my availability on the fixed event date. After this process completion hey informed me that I gotta be present black trousers and black shoes. Even though I said Okay I gulped; as I knew I had only brown ones and which means at least 5 pounds gone!

I stood along with my other university mates most of whom I did not know at the waiting place of the D day. The instructions from employing agency was to stay near a city centre square and wait for the bus to come which will transport us to our work place. Everyone was wearing black formal trousers and black shoes . . . as it was prerequisite to have one (I managed temporarily from my friend) I too mixed into the waiting crowed because of identicalness. Finally the bus arrived and we were off. The place was approximately an hours drive from my city according to the experienced people accompanied with me. After few minutes of journey the bus stopped. Few teenager kids climbed into our bus. Decked in complete black attire. They were especially girls exceptionally loud on the bus. You kind of experience the role of progesterones and estrogen from these little kids as they just don't behave. Believe me its very prominent and can irritate you. The fellow sitting beside me informed me that since this is vacation time, these kids are working to earn...which only created just a little bit of respect for them in my mind.

Finally we reached the place. It was a huge racecourse. The weather was gorgeous. It was within English country side …. and kind of small forest land of southern or eastern India. The cold weather made it look denser. The racecourse was a huge structure. Along the side of lush green course there were multiple complexes. Eventually we got out of the bus. There was a huge pendall. At the entry there were 4-5 giant he-mans literally overseeing (as they were around seven and half feet tall) the security aspect. As part of their work, they were informing all the people to deposit their valuables prior to entering. I went inside, did all the rituals as per instructions and marked myself present. The lady at the desk directed me to next hall. As I turned up there, I saw a huge table. It was full of black colored shirts and black caps. I managed to catch hold of a few my sized shirts and caps, and tried their itself in the open. Shirt was fitting fine, but I think my sized cap is something I have never seen. I hopelessly put some effort to wear that kippah sized cap and tried to fix on my head. While putting it on my head I said to a couple of people around me, ''Is this thing necessary? I have never worn hat in my life even if the temperature on my head is 42 degrees.'' I was saying just trying to cover myself up so that people wont laugh at my funny face. It looked like an elephant wearing a normal sized hat. 

There you go I was man in black. Right from head to tow except my body color there was juts blackness over me. We then gathered at the previous hall. Most of the people were ready. People belonged to every other race of the world were gathered in the same hall. It was a black uniformed advertisement of Benetton. By now it was pretty clear that this is going to be either waiting staff or bar staff job.

We were now divided in groups. A name badge was given to everyone of us. I don't remember the exact number groups but surely there were quite a few. One bar/cafe was allotted to my group. We went as directed. At that moment I realized the structure of the racecourse. Along side of the course there were many hotels, pubs or bars to serve the guest who can blissfully have a look at the hoarse racing while enjoying their food, alcohol, their girl-friends while sitting enjoying themselves. One of such gallery bar was ours. We finally reached there after a 15 minutes walk. My group had 7-8 people. My manager was a cute British lady, believe me she was the cutest manager I have had in my professional life! Her name was Anne. The other people in my group were 2 Kenyans, 1 British teen aged but mature couple, 1 Korean who was the slowest to react  and 1 British black young woman who soon left the place after some kinda emergency . 




Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?
Anonymous said…
Hi - I am really happy to find this. great job!

Popular posts from this blog

स्टैनली का डब्बा

स्टैनली का डब्बा हा चित्रपट पाहीला . .. आवडला . चित्रपटाच्या शेवटी एक नोटीस येते . " या चित्रपटाचे शूटींग विद्यार्थ्यांच्या खूप मधल्या सुट्ट्या ( रिसेस ) अ र्थात फ़ार वेळ खर्च न करता; एक वर्कशॊप म्हणून सुट्टीच्या दिवसातच म्हणजे फ़क्त एका वीकेंड मध्ये केले गेले आहे" . सध्याच्या व्यावसायीक सिनेमा मध्ये अश्या प्रकारचा चित्रपट बनवून लोकांपर्यंत पोहोचवायला एक धैर्य लागतं, अमोल गुप्तेचं हे धैर्य चित्रपट संपताना प्रेक्षकात त्यावेळेस एकदम जाणवतं . अमोल गुप्ते तसंच शाळा, शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी नाते, एका विद्यार्थ्याचीच प्रमुख व्यक्तिरेखा अश्यांमुळे साहजिकच आठवतो तो ’तारे जमिन पर’. दोन्ही चित्रपटातला विरोधाभास हा की स्टॆनली चुणचुणीत, स्वाभिमानी, हुशार आणि विद्यार्थीप्रिय मुलगा तर ’तारे जमिन पर’ मधला दर्शील हा एक डिसलेक्सिक त्यामुळे अभ्यासात मागे, एकटा पडलेला, कुणी न समजून घेतलेला मुलगा. तारे मध्ये शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी असं मैत्रीपूर्ण नातं आहे तर स्टॆनली मध्ये त्याच नात्यातील एक चढाओढ आहे. वास्तविक अमोल गुप्ते हा लहान मुलात व्यावसायिक संबंध असणारा माणूस . मतिमंद मुलांमध्ये तो गेली कित्य

जनता आणि अयोध्या

बाबरी मशीद चा निकाल म्हणता म्हणता येउन ठेपलाय. भरपूर ठिकाणी लोकांना निर्णयाबद्दल कुतूहल आहे. हिंदूचे चुकले कि मुस्लिमांचे, कोणाची बाजू नक्की खरी वगैरे; वादविवाद म्हणा किंवा चर्चा म्हणा त्या ऐकू येत आहेत. एकंदरीत १९९२ चे मुंबई bomb blasts, त्यानंतर एकामागून एक घडलेल्या अनेक तश्याच घटना म्हणजे गोधरा, गुजराथ दंगल, सतत उसळणारं मालेगाव - घडत राहिल्या आणि लोकांना त्याची सवय ही होत गेली. २६ नव्हेंबर इथे मुंबई पुन्हा एकदा याच वादातून पोळली गेली. एवढा सगळं होऊन सुद्धा काही लोकांची खुमखुमी काही जात नाहीए . मुळात त्यांना ही गोष्ट जाणवत कशी नाही कि तेच आपल्या हाताने स्वत: चे आयुष्य insecure बनवत आहेत. आज ते वाचले तर उद्या त्यांच्याच पुढल्या पिढीच्या जीवाला विरुद्ध  बाजूने धोका राहणारच आहे.    २७ तारखेची याचिका फेटाळली गेली, आणि दोन्ही बाजूंकडून खुलासे देण्यात आले की कोर्टाचा निर्णय सर्वमान्य असेल. तेव्हा एक गोष्ट डोक्यात आली - की कोर्टाने असा निर्णय दिला तर? वादग्रस्त जमिनीवर रामलल्ला, निर्मोही आखाडा आणि मुस्लीम अत्युच्च संस्था वक्फ या तिघांचाही भारतीय म्हणून हक्क आहे, त्यामुळे तिथे मंदिर क

पानवाला आणि पान

पान ही आपल्या देशाला लाभलेली एक सांस्कृतिक देणगी आहे . नीट पाहिलं, तर आपल्या पुराणातच कितीतरी ठिकाणी तांबूल - भक्षण करणारे सूर - असुर सापडतील . आजही नैवेद्या बरोबर विडा द्यायची पद्धत आहेच की . यावरून आठवलं , लहानपणी मी माहूरच्या देवीच्या दर्शनासाठी गेलो होतो . तिथे देवीच्या तोंडात विडा ठेवण्याची पद्धत आहे . तो विडा काढला कि गरम झालेला असतो असंही म्हणतात . आता हा श्रद्धाश्रद्धेचा भाग झाला , पण मुखातला विडा परत काढावाच कशाला ? असा रास्त प्रश्न मला आता पडतो. सांगायचा उद्देश एवढाच की विड्याची ही परंपरा पुष्कळ जुनी आहे . मराठी व्याकरणातही सुपारी देणे , विडा उचलणे असे काही अजूनही येणारे वाकप्रचार आहेत की . दत्तप्रबोधामध्येही पानाची तमोगुणी अशी उपमा आहे . त्यात म्हंटले आहे की , कीर्तनी तांबूल भक्षण । तें रजस्वलेचें शोणित जाण । कागजन्म तयालागून । करी भक्षण नरक मांस . त्यामुळे आपल्या संस्कृतीमध्ये पान जेवढे जुने तेवढेच पिचकारी मारणारे थुंक - संप्रदायी ही जुनेच आहेत हे कळून च