Skip to main content

Experiences in the Land of the Queen. . Vol. 3

       
Continuing the previous part of my experience of working on the part time job in England. Click here, to read the previous part.

Some minutes went by and disaster happened. Each of us were having two in-line orders in front of is and suddenly the flow of beer stopped in one tap, we were expected that as the flow of incoming beer was weak. It was informed to Anne as she too was busy in serving someone. Since people were lined up and it was too much rush, we called up the event manager and alerted them for this delay. People standing in front of the counter started getting mad because of the delay. They started yelling. Many of the customers especially the females were starting to get little bit zonked out, and few started sounding like maniacs but few were patient enough to stop for the technical difficulty. Soon the second beer tap gave up to flow and we announced ‘Beer's not available!’ A wave of disappointment was felt in the crowd. Positively we had a breather and pleasant break and had a look at the time. The first race of the day was approaching. All the people in hall were now busy in the race and were standing near window. Even though we have had constant order coming up; It was kind of ‘ I got the life back’ feeling.

Within few minutes, the race was finished. The excitement was evident on few people’s faces. Most people were not surprised as they expectedly lost a lot. There were quite a bit of people who tried not to look disappointing. The boyfriends & husbands looked a little bit irritated by the fake & dramatic consolation behaviour offered to them by respective girlfriends and wives. In this process we were now mentally recovered and got prepared for the next round of rush. In the mean time the beer taps started now working with full possible force, better than the last time. It was huge sigh of relief but the next few minutes were the toughest.

It was a major flock of people then ran into the counter to ask for the beer. Few of those were already drunk now, as we noticed that when they started raising their voices a bit. It was okay for us as we prepared for these sorta things. The mob standing in front us looked like the assembly of annoyers. It was intimidating, but we all kept our cool, and concentrated on our work. It had been a while I must have prepared at-least two hundred different drinks within 2-3 hours and I was so engrossed and concentrating on the job that I have not seen anything except the liquor and faces of customers. After a while I thought lets see how the team is doing. I noticed everyone in a jiffy - running and looking for something. My neck was up, only after a while and everyone I saw were working like robots. . . working on command. Anne was busy assisting somebody and in the mean time she was inspecting the availability of smaller currency in a till as a change. She called someone and requested for few pennis and pounds. I saw one fully drunken man intimidating Steven, my Brit team mate. Steve didn't really hear what he said. The fellow shouted at him; pointing at his girlfriend, hey you, is that your hag? Why dontya pay attention to me? Steve lost his patience and out of irritation said in a low voice, “fuck off you maggot . . I’ll ring yer neck!” Sensing the danger I took Steve away from the fellow. . and told him to be calm. Few blokes witnessing the incidence started smiling and laughing about it. I completed the fella's orders. Things calmed down after a while. Later, a smallish currency bag came and we emptied it in one till. The second funny incidence was in store involving me.

This old man - pretty drunk was standing there for a while. I looked at him to get his drinks. ‘hey you get me two lager!, he arrogantly order. I got him 2 pints as fast as I could and I asked for 8 bucks bill. He handed over me 50 pound note. I hurriedly opened the till. Receipt was printed. I was in the question mark what to do now as there was not enough cash in the till to give as a change. Although the transaction had to be completed only in one till; I still went to the second cash till which was filled by the lot of coins and Penney but there were not enough currency notes. Few people were impatiently calling me to attend for their orders and I was trying to concentrate to solve this puzzle about the change I had to give. The mans arrogance was ever increasing. It was pressure cooker moment. I went back to the gentleman and asked if he has change. He wanted  me to hurry up and started getting louder. I looked at my team mates, everyone was terribly busy. I gathered myself and firmly headed to the till where I was sure I can gather 42 pounds. I saw one & two pounds coins in the till. I kept the 50 pounds note in it, started counting the coins quickly. I did not have any other option. I collected coins. . boy . . it must be forty plus! Those were hand(s)ful! I firmly and carefully walked paying my attention to the coins in my hand. I sensed an upset feeling from the old fellow. I looked in the eye of the gentleman from my tightly fit cap and said, I am extremely sorry sir, but as you saw I don't have any other option, and gave him the mess of forty plus coins in hurry. He ruffled, infuriated at me; and man! He was pissed at me. He got wilder when people standing around him started smirking and grinning about the incidence. He started shouting all sorts of things and was pointing at me. I did only thing I could have done, I conveniently ignored the person and concentrated on next task. I did not noticed but he eventually must have calmed down. Later on when things started to slow down one bloke told me ‘ whatever you have done to the person, is very well done and he should not behaved like this with you hardworking people.” “Oh, that was not intentional, you saw i really didn't have notes!’, I tried to explain, but I thought I have enough things to do. I still smile about this incidence when I remember it.

(To be continued . . )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

स्टैनली का डब्बा

स्टैनली का डब्बा हा चित्रपट पाहीला . .. आवडला . चित्रपटाच्या शेवटी एक नोटीस येते . " या चित्रपटाचे शूटींग विद्यार्थ्यांच्या खूप मधल्या सुट्ट्या ( रिसेस ) अ र्थात फ़ार वेळ खर्च न करता; एक वर्कशॊप म्हणून सुट्टीच्या दिवसातच म्हणजे फ़क्त एका वीकेंड मध्ये केले गेले आहे" . सध्याच्या व्यावसायीक सिनेमा मध्ये अश्या प्रकारचा चित्रपट बनवून लोकांपर्यंत पोहोचवायला एक धैर्य लागतं, अमोल गुप्तेचं हे धैर्य चित्रपट संपताना प्रेक्षकात त्यावेळेस एकदम जाणवतं . अमोल गुप्ते तसंच शाळा, शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी नाते, एका विद्यार्थ्याचीच प्रमुख व्यक्तिरेखा अश्यांमुळे साहजिकच आठवतो तो ’तारे जमिन पर’. दोन्ही चित्रपटातला विरोधाभास हा की स्टॆनली चुणचुणीत, स्वाभिमानी, हुशार आणि विद्यार्थीप्रिय मुलगा तर ’तारे जमिन पर’ मधला दर्शील हा एक डिसलेक्सिक त्यामुळे अभ्यासात मागे, एकटा पडलेला, कुणी न समजून घेतलेला मुलगा. तारे मध्ये शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी असं मैत्रीपूर्ण नातं आहे तर स्टॆनली मध्ये त्याच नात्यातील एक चढाओढ आहे. वास्तविक अमोल गुप्ते हा लहान मुलात व्यावसायिक संबंध असणारा माणूस . मतिमंद मुलांमध्ये तो गेली कित्य

जनता आणि अयोध्या

बाबरी मशीद चा निकाल म्हणता म्हणता येउन ठेपलाय. भरपूर ठिकाणी लोकांना निर्णयाबद्दल कुतूहल आहे. हिंदूचे चुकले कि मुस्लिमांचे, कोणाची बाजू नक्की खरी वगैरे; वादविवाद म्हणा किंवा चर्चा म्हणा त्या ऐकू येत आहेत. एकंदरीत १९९२ चे मुंबई bomb blasts, त्यानंतर एकामागून एक घडलेल्या अनेक तश्याच घटना म्हणजे गोधरा, गुजराथ दंगल, सतत उसळणारं मालेगाव - घडत राहिल्या आणि लोकांना त्याची सवय ही होत गेली. २६ नव्हेंबर इथे मुंबई पुन्हा एकदा याच वादातून पोळली गेली. एवढा सगळं होऊन सुद्धा काही लोकांची खुमखुमी काही जात नाहीए . मुळात त्यांना ही गोष्ट जाणवत कशी नाही कि तेच आपल्या हाताने स्वत: चे आयुष्य insecure बनवत आहेत. आज ते वाचले तर उद्या त्यांच्याच पुढल्या पिढीच्या जीवाला विरुद्ध  बाजूने धोका राहणारच आहे.    २७ तारखेची याचिका फेटाळली गेली, आणि दोन्ही बाजूंकडून खुलासे देण्यात आले की कोर्टाचा निर्णय सर्वमान्य असेल. तेव्हा एक गोष्ट डोक्यात आली - की कोर्टाने असा निर्णय दिला तर? वादग्रस्त जमिनीवर रामलल्ला, निर्मोही आखाडा आणि मुस्लीम अत्युच्च संस्था वक्फ या तिघांचाही भारतीय म्हणून हक्क आहे, त्यामुळे तिथे मंदिर क

पानवाला आणि पान

पान ही आपल्या देशाला लाभलेली एक सांस्कृतिक देणगी आहे . नीट पाहिलं, तर आपल्या पुराणातच कितीतरी ठिकाणी तांबूल - भक्षण करणारे सूर - असुर सापडतील . आजही नैवेद्या बरोबर विडा द्यायची पद्धत आहेच की . यावरून आठवलं , लहानपणी मी माहूरच्या देवीच्या दर्शनासाठी गेलो होतो . तिथे देवीच्या तोंडात विडा ठेवण्याची पद्धत आहे . तो विडा काढला कि गरम झालेला असतो असंही म्हणतात . आता हा श्रद्धाश्रद्धेचा भाग झाला , पण मुखातला विडा परत काढावाच कशाला ? असा रास्त प्रश्न मला आता पडतो. सांगायचा उद्देश एवढाच की विड्याची ही परंपरा पुष्कळ जुनी आहे . मराठी व्याकरणातही सुपारी देणे , विडा उचलणे असे काही अजूनही येणारे वाकप्रचार आहेत की . दत्तप्रबोधामध्येही पानाची तमोगुणी अशी उपमा आहे . त्यात म्हंटले आहे की , कीर्तनी तांबूल भक्षण । तें रजस्वलेचें शोणित जाण । कागजन्म तयालागून । करी भक्षण नरक मांस . त्यामुळे आपल्या संस्कृतीमध्ये पान जेवढे जुने तेवढेच पिचकारी मारणारे थुंक - संप्रदायी ही जुनेच आहेत हे कळून च