Skip to main content

Experiences in the Land of the Queen. . Vol. 4

Continuing the previous part of my experience of working on the part time job in England. Please click here, to read the previous part.

I got to meet variety of people. There was this happy-go-lucky and filthy rich fellow . . who I thought was my best guest - because of his constant smiling face. He occasionally used to come and place a big order like 14 pints of beer. I remember the joy on his face when the main race event ended and he ordered such a big lot of alcohol to me, even though there were many people were waiting before him. I don't know why but I still paid attention to him as I already knew him.

I also remember a confused sexy blond (umm..I know I used 2 extra adjectives here which were not required. . but I guess 'just in case' -) who asked me the costs of everything available one by one. ‘I'll have large Jack Daniels please.....oh wait ...how much is it for?’ oh .. Forget it please get me Smirnoff then. ‘but it's the same price ma’am’ - me, . . . .oh then how much is coke ?... Me - three and half bucks . . . and beer? - She. “Four pounds ma’am” - me. Now she started talking to the brunette accompanying her, what are you gonna have? . . . and making totally confused face, asking me . . . why here everything is so expensive? “ What could I have done? I just smiled at her. 

I sold red French wine to one female customers who came to buy a beer and ended taking altogether different thing. Many people in the first impression looked rich, glossy, elegant and sophisticated and ofcourse they were; but as the clock ticked and as the alcohol was consumed most of them looked like bunch of boneheads.

I even met a sweet middle aged lady. When I asked her about her order, she lovingly said, “Other people first, It’s okay, I’ll wait. I would’ve been terrified if I would have been at your place.” It was indeed a lovely gesture.

Things then started to slow. Alcohol was in the environment now. I was proud of myself that I knocked out so many people. Suddenly I had immense respect for the '-OH' chemical. I was now started noticing people . . . .rather people started behaving weird and started attracting everyones attention. The wise got out of the place, the rich were overly wasting everything, the beautifuls started forgetting about the surroundings, their actual age and about their bodies. I don’t know how and why these girls loose control over their voice once they start enjoying. They just start screening out of no where and mind you its not just normal scream its screatching scream. One thing was certainly there, no one was bothered about anyone else. We all were talking to each other now that most of us were free. I was not interested in the surroundings. My own tired legs were more important to me now. We worked 5-6 hours in a row without food. It was 'blooohddiee' tiring. No one would have had a energy to even look at one of ‘miss/mrs- I-am-on-heat-please-hook-up-with-me’ type of females even if they would have requested it to do so. 

After, almost half an hour the hall was now empty. The mission was accomplished. Again, two black and white supermen came with their manager - the ramp lady. We were just waiting for her. It was dark outside. The manger had some discussion with Anne, they checked tills and counted cash. Our team was badly exhausted. Everyone was seating on different tables and were least interested in the counting. . . except exact counting of accumulated pooled tip figure and wanted to head home. Steve and his girlfriend joined my table. I
We had an informal chat. It was pretty routine for that young couple as they had been working since year or so. Suddenly those big guys and their vampire boss went outside. We counted the tips and divided into each of us. Satisfied of the first earning abroad I went down & changed myself just because I had to. I bid adieu to everyone in my team and planned to have one more such job together. Later I went to complete the signing out formalities; took all my belongings and returned into specially arranged transport pretty much only breathing. 

I was engrossed in the thought... I have never imagined that, sometime  in my life I would work in a bar. I didn't know when I got dozed off while thinking the remaining work in my assignments and stuff. It was an exhaustive day, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fortunately or unfortunately  I can't say...but I did not get the second opportunity to work as a bartender. Looking back now thinking of this experience I am of the opinion that such experiences teaches you many things. Most importantly, it teaches you life and to live. 

I would certainly enjoy it more if I get another opportunity but I am sure, such chances are pretty bleak. :-)


-: The End :-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

स्टैनली का डब्बा

स्टैनली का डब्बा हा चित्रपट पाहीला . .. आवडला . चित्रपटाच्या शेवटी एक नोटीस येते . " या चित्रपटाचे शूटींग विद्यार्थ्यांच्या खूप मधल्या सुट्ट्या ( रिसेस ) अ र्थात फ़ार वेळ खर्च न करता; एक वर्कशॊप म्हणून सुट्टीच्या दिवसातच म्हणजे फ़क्त एका वीकेंड मध्ये केले गेले आहे" . सध्याच्या व्यावसायीक सिनेमा मध्ये अश्या प्रकारचा चित्रपट बनवून लोकांपर्यंत पोहोचवायला एक धैर्य लागतं, अमोल गुप्तेचं हे धैर्य चित्रपट संपताना प्रेक्षकात त्यावेळेस एकदम जाणवतं . अमोल गुप्ते तसंच शाळा, शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी नाते, एका विद्यार्थ्याचीच प्रमुख व्यक्तिरेखा अश्यांमुळे साहजिकच आठवतो तो ’तारे जमिन पर’. दोन्ही चित्रपटातला विरोधाभास हा की स्टॆनली चुणचुणीत, स्वाभिमानी, हुशार आणि विद्यार्थीप्रिय मुलगा तर ’तारे जमिन पर’ मधला दर्शील हा एक डिसलेक्सिक त्यामुळे अभ्यासात मागे, एकटा पडलेला, कुणी न समजून घेतलेला मुलगा. तारे मध्ये शिक्षक-विद्यार्थी असं मैत्रीपूर्ण नातं आहे तर स्टॆनली मध्ये त्याच नात्यातील एक चढाओढ आहे. वास्तविक अमोल गुप्ते हा लहान मुलात व्यावसायिक संबंध असणारा माणूस . मतिमंद मुलांमध्ये तो गेली कित्य

जनता आणि अयोध्या

बाबरी मशीद चा निकाल म्हणता म्हणता येउन ठेपलाय. भरपूर ठिकाणी लोकांना निर्णयाबद्दल कुतूहल आहे. हिंदूचे चुकले कि मुस्लिमांचे, कोणाची बाजू नक्की खरी वगैरे; वादविवाद म्हणा किंवा चर्चा म्हणा त्या ऐकू येत आहेत. एकंदरीत १९९२ चे मुंबई bomb blasts, त्यानंतर एकामागून एक घडलेल्या अनेक तश्याच घटना म्हणजे गोधरा, गुजराथ दंगल, सतत उसळणारं मालेगाव - घडत राहिल्या आणि लोकांना त्याची सवय ही होत गेली. २६ नव्हेंबर इथे मुंबई पुन्हा एकदा याच वादातून पोळली गेली. एवढा सगळं होऊन सुद्धा काही लोकांची खुमखुमी काही जात नाहीए . मुळात त्यांना ही गोष्ट जाणवत कशी नाही कि तेच आपल्या हाताने स्वत: चे आयुष्य insecure बनवत आहेत. आज ते वाचले तर उद्या त्यांच्याच पुढल्या पिढीच्या जीवाला विरुद्ध  बाजूने धोका राहणारच आहे.    २७ तारखेची याचिका फेटाळली गेली, आणि दोन्ही बाजूंकडून खुलासे देण्यात आले की कोर्टाचा निर्णय सर्वमान्य असेल. तेव्हा एक गोष्ट डोक्यात आली - की कोर्टाने असा निर्णय दिला तर? वादग्रस्त जमिनीवर रामलल्ला, निर्मोही आखाडा आणि मुस्लीम अत्युच्च संस्था वक्फ या तिघांचाही भारतीय म्हणून हक्क आहे, त्यामुळे तिथे मंदिर क

पानवाला आणि पान

पान ही आपल्या देशाला लाभलेली एक सांस्कृतिक देणगी आहे . नीट पाहिलं, तर आपल्या पुराणातच कितीतरी ठिकाणी तांबूल - भक्षण करणारे सूर - असुर सापडतील . आजही नैवेद्या बरोबर विडा द्यायची पद्धत आहेच की . यावरून आठवलं , लहानपणी मी माहूरच्या देवीच्या दर्शनासाठी गेलो होतो . तिथे देवीच्या तोंडात विडा ठेवण्याची पद्धत आहे . तो विडा काढला कि गरम झालेला असतो असंही म्हणतात . आता हा श्रद्धाश्रद्धेचा भाग झाला , पण मुखातला विडा परत काढावाच कशाला ? असा रास्त प्रश्न मला आता पडतो. सांगायचा उद्देश एवढाच की विड्याची ही परंपरा पुष्कळ जुनी आहे . मराठी व्याकरणातही सुपारी देणे , विडा उचलणे असे काही अजूनही येणारे वाकप्रचार आहेत की . दत्तप्रबोधामध्येही पानाची तमोगुणी अशी उपमा आहे . त्यात म्हंटले आहे की , कीर्तनी तांबूल भक्षण । तें रजस्वलेचें शोणित जाण । कागजन्म तयालागून । करी भक्षण नरक मांस . त्यामुळे आपल्या संस्कृतीमध्ये पान जेवढे जुने तेवढेच पिचकारी मारणारे थुंक - संप्रदायी ही जुनेच आहेत हे कळून च